Sunday, July 20, 2014

simple crochet snowflake pattern: REVISED


Created by paperdollmom, Copyright 2014

Materials: Size 10 crochet thread and a size 4 hook (any yarn or hook should work, but will create different sizes)

-Chain 5, slip stitch closed to form a ring

-SC in the ring (this will be the original SC of the current snowflake "petal"), chain 4, work cluster, [chain 5, slip stitch in 5th chain from the hook] 3 times, the last time you slipstitch into the 5th chain from the hook, also put the hook into the same stitch of the first one to connect them together, Chain 4 and slip stitch into the original SC
-Repeat the first step around for each of the 6 "petals" of the snowflake, then slipstitch to the very first SC you ever made in the ring
-finish off

Cluster: [yarn over twice, insert hook into the original SC, pull yarn through, yarn over and pull yarn through 2 loops three times]

6 comments:

  1. I can't get this to work - the first chain 4 ends up on it own?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I am understanding you correctly, you are not doing your first SC after the initial 5 chains correctly. You need to SC into the first chain you made...this turns your 5 chains into a connected circle or ring. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this was missing a few steps. After the last 5ch picot I, ch4 and made a sl in the bottom of the first ch4. After that I made a dc in the ring then ch4 and do the cl and so on until I have 6 complete "petals".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm. I am sorry, but I do not 100% understand what you are meaning. When I read through my pattern again, I understood it in the way I created it. I can see how maybe the very last step of chaining 4 before slipstitching the row closed could be missing (which to my mind is obvious considering the pattern you are crocheting around, and would be more that I just flipped the ch 4 and picots around in the cluster description), but I would have to make this again to be sure. I think too, that maybe my way of writing patterns is not to the norm and is not always taken how I am meaning them to the seasoned pattern followers. I have almost always created my own patterns for everything I have made, so I am not always as familiar with the best terminology or ways to describe what I am doing. Either way, I hope your snowflake turned out! When I make this snowflake again, I will try to sit down and see if I can come up with a better description with how I made it. But honestly, reading through it and looking at the photo, it makes sense to me right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate all your input and I will put this snowflake on my list of to-dos to see if I can make it more understandable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I worked on this pattern again today and tried to figure out how I was confusing my process. I hope I have revised it more clearly!

    ReplyDelete