Friday, April 10, 2015

The Garden Primer

I had to stop at the library to return some books yesterday. I was looking for a specific book and had no luck, so I stopped in our local bookstore as well. I was also selling them a stack of some used books, so if my girls and I found something wonderful, it would be quite inexpensive. I am glad I stopped by! Not only did my daughters each find a couple of books each that was perfect for them, I too, found a great book. I was actually hoping to find a book dedicated to herbs, which unfortunately did not exist at the bookstore, but I did find a great gardening book that I am glad to have found, The Garden Primer by Barbara Damrosch. This books is filled with so much information in a surprisingly compact, hardcover book. This book has over 600 pages of information, ranging from bulbs, compost, landscaping, planning, veggies, and anything else you can think of, yet is also lightweight. Why am I excited about this book? Because it is a normal sized book and lightweight! Most gardening books I find are oversized, heavy, and quite cumbersome to sit down and enjoy. Granted, this one does not have full color illustrations or photographs, which I do love, but I think the publishers made a smart choice. This is actually a gardening book I can sit comfortably with and enjoy, or even take to bed, and for only about $5, you can't beat that. This will definitely be a book that I will be indulging in a lot this summer. This was the only book I purchased for myself, but I was only specifically looking for an herb book. Even though I didn't get exactly what I was looking for, I am still pleased!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds cool! I know how you feel - a lot of how-to books are cumbersome:-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I don't know why they make so many of them so oversized, when it is really unnecessary. I will admit, I do really love looking through beautiful full color photographs in garden books (not illustrations, photographs), but it is really not needed in every book. I love this one!

      Delete