This post is written in response to Top Ten Tuesday at The Broke and Bookish. What classic books can I not believe that I haven't read yet? I will shift that sentence a bit to simply be classic books that I'd like to read:
1. Great Expectation by Charles Dickens. I have read this through completely, but it is a classic novel that I would really like to take the time to reread. Someday.
2. Moby Dick by Herman Melville. I started reading this book once, but had a terrible copy where the print went into the spine too much. I ended up setting it aside because it was too much of a struggle. I really love the beginning chapters of this book.
3. Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. I have read, I believe, the first 3 books, but would love to finish the series.
4. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. I love the tale, but still need to read it in its original form.
5. Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne. Seen the movies, love them. I need to explore is novels more.
6. Sense and Sensiblity by Jane Austen. I would love to one day actually finish this novel in its entirety.
7. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne. I read probably half of this book and loved it. Don't know why I stopped, but I need to get back to it. The illustrations in some of these versions are absolutely beautiful.
8. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. I think if I could read this straight through I would love it. I tend to get distracted and pulled too deeply into the gloom of it all before I can finish it though.
9. The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain. I started reading this a while back and was surprised at how good it was. I still need to finish it.
10. The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne. Another case of setting it aside after reading a good chunk. I don't own a copy of this myself, but this novel has been on my mind a lot later. I am craving to read it through. From what I had read, it was written very beautifully.
And as a bonus...
11. Beowulf. I have a copy that is beautifully translated and absolutely love this tale. I need to pick it back up and finish it as well!