Wednesday, March 4, 2015

new books...that are not young adult

My husband had off work today, so I had the luxury of going to our local bookstore by myself! This is a very rare occasion, for me to be out without my girls with me. Not that I want to be out without them, but it was super nice to be able to take my time browsing through books without my husband or my daughters bored and rushing me. I only spent about $25 and came home with a total of 6 novels (all but one were used books). I am super excited to start reading them, and am having a terrible time trying to decide which one to start first! Here are the books I purchased:
Beguilement (The Sharing Knife, #1)The Sharing Knife by Lois McMaster Bujold. I purchased one hardcover that includes book one and two in the trilogy (Beguilement and Legacy), and a third separate softcover of the third books, Passage. I was searching pretty hard to find either a new sci-fi or fantasy series that I might enjoy, and settled on this. I am a bit confused, as the book containing book one and two looks and sounds really awesome, while the third separate one looks and does not sound at all interesting. So we will see.
The Talisman (The Talisman, #1)I also decided that I really wanted to try a Stephen King novel. I am not much for horror or gory books, but I think I can handle scary or eerie (depending on the topic). I thought a Stephen King book would be well out of my norm, and might lead me to some different books I might enjoy. I settled on The Talisman, which is co-written with Peter Straub. It is a fantasy, and sounds really interesting. I hope it goes over well for me!
And now onto classics! I really wanted to get a new classic book. First, I found Le Morte'Arthur: King Arthur and the Legends of the Round Table. I have been really really wanting a good King Arthur book for a long time, since I watched that Merlin series on TV. I didn't really care if it was a classic or a novel retelling, but I settled on this one. It looks like an awesome version. I did find a few series in the fantasy section, but the writing wasn't really pulling me in. This one was in the classics section and immediately drew me in within the first paragraph. Can't wait to start it! This was the only book I purchased that was not a used book.
The Count of Monte CristoAnd Lastly, The Count of Monte Cristo. This was more of a surprise purchase for me. I knew I wanted to look through the classics today and find something new, but I was surprised I was drawn to Alexandre Dumas' books. I have never been interested in reading them before, but today I was actually struggling to choose between the few I saw. I suppose it is not all that surprising I chose this, it sounds similar to The Prisoner of Zenda, which I really liked. I had a hard time finding the specific edition I purchased, as it has a movie photo on the front. I couldn't get the photo to load on here, but you can see the specific cover I have here.

Now I just have to figure out which book I want to start first. I think I may start off with the King Arthur book...but I might change my mind several times before I actually get to sit down and read today.

No comments:

Post a Comment