Saturday, August 9, 2014

sunday reads #7

http://www.amazon.com/Leagues-Under-Sterling-Unabridged-Classics/dp/140272599X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1407642962&sr=8-3&keywords=20%2C000+leagues+under+the+sea+sterling
Well, this week has been extraordinarily busy for me. Both of my girls auditioned for a play on Monday, both receiving a part in the play that was performed on Friday. That means the week was filled with rehearsals, rehearsals, and more rehearsals. The play was Blackbeard the Pirate, though probably not the Blackbeard we all know, but a much more fun (child friendly) Blackbeard, who learned the important lesson that the best treasures are not found in a box. After the week being saturated with the high seas and mermaids, I was very much desiring a good nautical adventure book. I browsed the library, and even our small local used book store, leaving both empty handed. Either I am terrible at finding what I want in a room filled with books, or finding a lighthearted pirate/sea adventure is hard to come by. Either way, I was a tad disappointed until I returned home and realized I already own a few books that revolve around the sea. I picked up 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, a tale I have started (and loved what I read), but have yet to finish. I restarted the book on Friday, and am being flooded with how wonderful Jules Verne can share such an adventure! Most of us know the general plot of this story, whether we have read it or not. It is one of those tales like Pride and Prejudice, where everyone knows the story. Everyone knows who Elizabeth Bennett is, just as they know who Captain Nemo is. But I love how the very beginning of this tale is told in a way that pulls you into all the excitement and wonder of this unknown large creature propelling through the waters, making you forget for a while that you already know what it is. This book is just beautiful, from the colors of the covers to the illustrations printed here and there. There is even a beautiful shell printed at the beginning of each chapter! Needless to say, this will be my Sunday read...

No comments:

Post a Comment