Tuesday, August 12, 2014

beowulf

I have been thoroughly (still) enjoying my Beowulf book. This tale fascinates me. I will be doing an actual review once I finish the epic poem, but for this post I will just say it is amazing.
Last year I did a Vikings unit with my youngest daughter, which left me slightly obsessed with this culture. It took me a bit to put together that Beowulf was part of this culture, which lead me to do quite a bit of searching online about this character. Apparently it has been agreed that Beowulf himself is a made up character, but other characters and events in the tale are real, written as early as 700 AD. It was breathtaking to view a photo online of the actual original manuscript. Just wow. Also, apparently it is possible that archeologists have discovered the royal hall that is written about in Beowulf. I am just a sucker for those fairytales/folktales that have been around for so many years, falling to the ears of every generation. It is just such a connection to people from long ago, I just love it! 

* This post will be shared with Book Inspired over at Mom's Book Banter.

1 comment:

  1. That is awesome! I love when archaeologists find neat stuff like this!

    ReplyDelete