Tuesday, May 7, 2013

golden gates

by K, Copyright 2013

The boy raced along the broken stones trying to avoid the crumbling debris. He could see the golden artifact, heaven's gates, shining up ahead.

The floors continued to quake, crunching beneath the dragon's thunderous legs. Flames licked around the boy causing him to wince at the intense heat.

His fingertips grazed the artifact, pulling it into his grasp. He turned around to find the tip of the dragon's nose inches from his own; red eyes glaring down at him, as if they were on fire. The boy uttered the unspoken words, allowing the golden gates to transport him back home.

*This is a snippet of a story prompted by this three-minute fiction challenge. However, I will only be submitting it to velvet verbosity's post on this finders keepers prompt. I have to say, it was quite a challenge to shave down almost 400 words to 100 for velvet verbosity's 100 words requirement! But a challenge I enjoyed trying to make happen. 100 words exactly..finally!





6 comments:

  1. Welcome to the 100 Words challenge! Always happy to meet newcomers. How'd you find us?

    Wonderful little fantasy snippet. I'm a fan of dragons. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I believe I stumbled upon your blog through a Poets United prompt I was participating in. I think someone's poem I was reading had it linked to that prompt and yours as well...so I it out.

      Delete
  2. This snippet is leaving me wanting to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how much you did within the fantasy style in just 100 words. Love the last 2 lines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree there's allot in those 100 words. Can't wait to see full thing.

    ReplyDelete