Friday, June 27, 2014

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Sisterhood, #1)The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

For whatever reason, I have had an overwhelming desire to read this book, one that I couldn't shake until I found myself ordering the entire series online. I finally received all four books in the mail yesterday, and less than 24 hours later, I have already devoured the first book.

Everyone and their mother must know this tale of the four best friends and the pair of magical pants. These four friends are, for the first time, spending the summer apart. And the pair of pants? Well, they think they are magical, so they must be...

All four girls are nervous to spend so much time apart, so they use this pair of pants that seems to magically fit all four of their different body types beautifully (unheard of in the world of being a girl), to symbolize the love and support that they have for each other. As they go their separate ways, each girl has their own journey, their own experiences that exposes a little more of the world we all live in. They share the pants, each girl wearing the pants during moments of embarrassment or mistakes, and then again during a time of comfort, solace, and making things right. This book covers deep emotional topics, such as young love, stepfamilies, sex (though it is mainly implied), and even death. But, more importantly, this book is about friendship. The kind of friendship that is filled with unconditional love, the kind that will last forever.

I really enjoyed reading about these wonderful girls. I think every teen will be able to relate to at least one of these girls, which is something we all seek to find in a book that we read. The only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5, is mainly age related. I loved reading the book, but as I am a mother, married, older than these four girls, I crave to read about these topics on a different level, one that I can relate in my current life. I have seen concern about age appropriateness for this series, as it does touch on some issues that are not for the young, but I do think it all depends on the girl in question. Parents would know if their child is ready for such a book.

I will definitely be keeping this book around, and continuing on in the series.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment