Friday, June 27, 2014

collecting your memories quote from Inkheart

Inkheart (Inkworld, #1)
'"If you take a book with you on a journey," Mo had said when he put the first one in her box, "and odd thing happens: The book begins collecting your memories. And forever after you have only to open that book to be back where you first read it. It will all come into your mind with the very first words: the sights you saw in that place, what it smelled like, the ice cream you ate while you were reading it... yes, books are like flypaper- memories cling to the printed page better than anything else."'

I especially loved this quote from the book, as I have always wondered if others felt this exact same way, that many times you associate a book you read with what was going on around you (or what was going on in your life) while you read it. Cornelia Funke describes this feeling so perfectly that it makes me widen my eyes in excitement to find that Meggie from within these pages is just like me. After 12 years of marriage, I can still remember sitting in bed at night reading Great Expectations, with my husband beside me thinking he was besting me by knowing who the benefactor was (however I had guessed correctly). I remember listening to an audio book on My Antonia, hearing about such a fascinating character that kept my mind distracted and unfocused when my daughter was very ill and in the hospital. I believe that Cornelia Funke must be correct, that memories cling to the printed pages of a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment