Sunday, December 22, 2013

David Trinidad's Rapunzel

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1586540270/theendicotstudio
 
This is one of my favorite poetry books. Not sure if I've mentioned it before on this blog, but I've been enjoying reading it this lovely Sunday. One poem that stuck out for me today was "Rapunzel" by David Trinidad. I love this book and how it brings fairytales to life, literally, adding a dose of reality to what we've always known to be so pretty and perfect. In David Trinidad's version of Rapunzel, she is not a pretty princess happily waiting in a tower for her prince to arrive; she is a young woman trapped in a tower with that pain and sorrow that infiltrates her life. My favorite line is the last few:
 
If only she'd say:
"Here, take this pair of scissors and cut your hair before it
twists into spaces between the bricks like vines." I'd slit my wrists.
 
It is a heavy ending to a poem, enlightening the readers to the true magnitude of what it could feel like being that beloved character, Rapunzel. I am always wearisome about sharing another's work on my blogs, but I did find somewhere online that is sharing this poem. Please click here to go and read this wonderful work and let me know what you think.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment